Coconut oil has become a very popular and healthy choice because of the many benefits that is associated with its use. Now you probably are aware of these facts yourself but did you know that coconut oil can be used for so many more things than just cooking?
I never knew this myself until the other day when I was watching the Dr. Oz show and they covered a few of the 99 ways to use coconut. I thought some of the uses were just down right amazing so I thought I would post a few of them here for you to learn from and enjoy yourself.
Ways to Use Coconut Oil:
2. Bug Bite Soother – If a mosquito or other insect chewed you up, use coconut oil to calm irritated skin. Apply a small amount of oil to the bite(s) and surrounding area to alleviate itch and burning.
3. Natural Massage Oil – Combine a cup of liquefied coconut oil with an essential oil (like lavender, mint or lemon) or a combination of oils in a plastic bottle and shake to combine. Then massage the scented oil onto your skin (or have someone do it for you!).
4. Remove Earwax – Warm coconut oil in the microwave for a few seconds until it becomes a liquid. Test the temperature with your finger and make sure it’s warm, not hot. Fill a dropper with half to one tablespoon of the oil; tilt your head to your right shoulder and drip oil into your left ear, letting it sit for 10 minutes. Then, tilt head upright and rinse all of the oil out with warm water. Dry your ear with a towel and then repeat on the other side.
5. Repair Damaged Hair – Moisturize your strands by using coconut oil as an all-natural deep conditioner. Simply add oil to wet, clean hair when you’re in the shower and allow it to absorb into your scalp for a few minutes. Then rinse the “conditioner” out, dry hair and style as usual.
6. Help Soothe Eczema – Apply coconut oil topically daily to help soothe the pain and itch of irritated skin at dry patches. Talk to your doctor about whether this home remedy is best for your eczema; discontinue use if your skin condition worsens.
7. Overnight Foot Moisturizer – Massage coconut oil into feet and put on a pair of socks to hydrate dry, rough skin while you sleep. When you wake up in the morning, your feet should feel soft and smooth.
8. Fight Oily Skin With a Face Mask – Combine two tablespoons of coconut oil with two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and apply to skin. Let the mask sit for a few minutes, then rinse off with warm water and pat skin dry with a towel.
9. Discolored Skin – Combine two tablespoons of coconut oil with a half cup of pumpkin pulp and apply to face. Let the mask sit for a few minutes, then rinse off with warm water and pat face dry with a towel.
10. Skin Exfoliator – Combine a half cup coconut oil with two tablespoons of brown sugar and gently apply to face in circular motions. Rinse with warm water.
11. Repair Overworked Hands – Washing dishes? Cleaning the house? Rub one tablespoon of coconut oil into your hands before you begin and another tablespoon when you’re finished for soft hands.
12. Treat Cuts – Apply a small amount of coconut oil to a cut or scrape and the surrounding area. The oil contains antioxidants that studies in mice have shown may help cuts heal faster.
13. Frizzy Hair Control – Spray liquid coconut oil on damp hair and cover with a shower cap. Leave on for an hour or two and shampoo. This natural beauty method may help prevent frizz.
14. Treat Dandruff – Apply half cup of coconut oil to your scalp and roots, and then distribute it evenly throughout hair, all the way down to the tips. Let the oil sit for at least five minutes before rinsing and shampooing.
15. Enhance Eyelashses – Combine one tablespoon coconut oil with one teaspoon lemon juice and one drop lavender oil. Clean an old mascara tube and brush, then add this oil mixture to the empty tube. Apply the oil to lashes one to three times daily for clean and polished lashes.
16. Makeup Remover – Apply liquid coconut oil to a cotton ball and apply to areas of face covered by makeup. Rinse with warm water. The oil removes makeup and dirt while restoring skin’s natural glow.
17. Shaving Cream – Using an immersion blender, whip up some coconut oil in a bowl or pot to use as a shaving cream. This natural shaving cream can help restore skin’s moisture.
18. Soothe Nursing Mother’s Nipples – For sore nipples, apply coconut oil at night under loose clothing for relief.
19. Reduce Appearance of Cold Sores – Apply coconut oil to the affected area as often as needed to diminish the sore’s redness and inflammation.
20. Natural Energy Booster – Swallow a tablespoon of coconut oil when you’re in need of a pick-me-up for a boost without the sugar or caffeine-fueled crash.
21. Sore Throat Soother – Gargle with a combination of one tablespoon coconut oil, one teaspoon apple cider vinegar and one tablespoon warm water to help alleviate scratchy, sore throats.
22. Help Hangnails – Massage coconut oil into your nails to help relieve painful hangnails and potentially help heal existing ones.
23. Moisten Nostrils – Rub a little coconut oil on the inside of your nostrils to reverse the irritation of dry, sore nostrils.
24. Diminish Dark Under Eye Circles – Rub a small amount of coconut oil beneath your eyes to help diminish the look of dark circles.
25. Fight Bad Breath – Hold a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth until it melts and swish it around for fresh, clean breath.
If you thought these were amazing ways to use coconut oil then you probably want to learn close to 75 more crazy things you can do with everyday coconut oil by visiting 99 Ways to Use Coconut Oil Now.